Save 12% Sitewide | Code: save12✱
Phenobarbital Elixir 20mg/5mL 473ML
Sale Price: $60.00
- Let us contact your vet for you
- Have your vet call or fax us
- Mail us the original prescription
Product Info:Phenobarbital for dogs and cats is a tablet that is given to control epilepsy in dogs and cats. It can be used as a lone therapy or along with other drugs to decrease the frequency and severity of your pet's seizures. Phenobarbital may also be used for other purposes not listed here. It is sold per tablet. Phenobarbital requires a prescription from your veterinarian and is classified as a schedule IV controlled substance.
Dogs and Cats
- Controls seizures
- Reduces frequency and severity of seizures
How it works:
Phenobarbital both decreases and stabilizes the neuron activity in your pet's brain, which can help reduce the number of seizures your pet experiences. It increases activity in the GABA neurotransmitter, which is what calms the nerves; and it decreases activity in the Glutamate neurotransmitter, which reduces nerve-stimulating properties.
Phenobarbital should be stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
Each 5 mL (teaspoonful) contains 20.0 mg phenobarbital. The elixir also contains FD&C Red #40, flavors, glycerin, purified water, sucrose, and alcohol 15%.Do not suddenly stop giving Phenobarbital as it may cause your pet to have a seizure.
- Follow your veterinarian's instructions of dosage and method of administration explicitly.
- Make sure to complete the prescription unless directed otherwise by your veterinarian.
- Phenobarbital may be habit forming. Tolerance and psychological and physical dependence may occur with continued use.
- Use with caution when giving Phenobarbital to pets with Addison's Disease, kidney disease, liver disease, respiratory abnormalities, or anemia.
- Phenobarbital may interact with other drugs so it's best to consult with your veterinarian if your pet is on other medication. After prolonged use, Phenobarbital may cause significant liver impairment.
Possible Side Effects:
Because Phenobarbital decreases the Glutamate neurotransmitter in the brain, it can also decrease other neuron activity. Side effects of Phenobarbital may include anxiety, lethargy, sedation, increase in water intake, increase in appetite, increase in urination, anemia, and weight gain. Usually if a pet is going to experience side effects it happens in the first few weeks of starting the medication or when the dosage is increased.